Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Accepting God's Plan

My life as a homespun wife began on May 13, 1984. My fiance had just graduated college the day before and it was a bustling weekend of activities. In addition to college graduation and our wedding day, it was Mother's Day weekend too. Later, when I became a mom, I realized that my wedding anniversary and Mother's Day, being celebrated in the same week, would mean a bonus of gifts and surprises.
Marrying my husband was not what I wanted. Yep...that's what I said. It's not that I didn't love my fella and desire to be his wife. It's simply that I had spent many months protesting God's will for my life.
I had grown up as a minister's daughter and determined early in my life that living in a minister's home was not for me. The "life in the fishbowl" and intense scrutiny and criticism of the minister's life led me to decide that as soon as possible, I would leave that life far behind.
When I left my parent's home for college, I experienced my first taste of "freedom." I was able to get out from under all the expectations and simply be myself. One day, while in the college cafeteria, I met the funniest and most delightful young man. As we shared our meal together, I fell head-over-heels. He quickly invited me out to a basketball game later that evening on campus, and it was there in the gym that he broke the news that broke my heart. This cute, preppy and humorous young man was a ministerial student. My hopes immediately deflated. How could this be?
Over the following months, God worked on my heart. It was tedious and gut-wrenching for me. But the Lord kept bringing me around to His way of thinking. How was I to know that His plan for me was the very thing I was running from?
Psalm 31: 3-5 says, "Since You are my Rock and my Fortress, for the sake of Your name lead and guide me. Free me from the trap that is set for me, for You are my refuge. Into Your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth." When I first read this Scripture, one thing jumped to my eyes...the words, "Into Your hands I commit my spirit." Were these not the very words uttered by my Lord while He was dying on the cross? Even in death, my Lord was quoting the Scriptures. Jesus was giving His all to God's plan.
How can I do anything less? Lord, I give my ways to You.....Here is my spirit, Use me.

1 Comments:

At January 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM , Blogger Mara Wildflower said...

When I read your testimony, I couldn't help but think of Jonah. He too tried to "get away" from God's plan for his life, but it didn't work. We might be "stubborn" sometimes, but when that happens, God seems to bring us back on track somehow so that we don't get going in the wrong direction.

At any rate, I found your blog via the blog "Confessions of Life and Faith." I read your comment about being a new blogger, and thought that I would pay you a little visit. You seem like a nice person. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better. :)

-M. Wildflower

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home