Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Homemade Loaf

I would love to brag about the perfections of being a homespun wife....but I would have to make stuff up. Let's face it: there are no perfect homemakers. I remember a newlywed neighbor telling me once, "All I want out of life is to be the perfect wife and keep the perfect home." Oh my!

There may not be a "perfect homespun wife," but trying to be the best wife you can be for your husband is well worth the effort! Most importantly, being the best homemaker you can be for your Lord should be considered a joy, not drudgery.

Even so, being in the kitchen seems like a drudgery for me most of the time these days. I hate to admit it...but after 28 years of raising children and doling out casseroles and cakes and cookies, I am getting tired of the kitchen. Fortunately, I have a bread machine. It doesn't do all the work but it does the bulk of it and that is a time-saver for me. I am currently on the 4th bread machine of my marriage. I'm terribly hard on them and they don't last as long as husbands, but I would highly recommend getting one and keeping it operational. (A happy husband will continue replacing it, as long as you keep using it!)

At the bottom the page, you will find, "The Homemade Loaf." I follow a simple, homespun recipe that makes a beautiful and delicious loaf every time. I thought I would share the recipe with you....

The Homemade Loaf

Toss the following into your bread machine:
1 cup water
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 tbs honey
1 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

Select the dough cycle. On the final beep, remove the dough from the machine. Gently kneed for a moment or two on a lightly floured surface and form dough into a loaf shape. Place loaf into a lightly greased pan and allow to rise. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes until bread is lightly brown. Some ovens require less baking time.

The thing I love about this loaf is that there is no sugar in it...only honey. You may also use half whole wheat flour, if you choose.

Even though I get tired of being in the kitchen, making bread always relaxes me. I find myself humming along with the bread machine. And the smell of bread baking in the oven is exactly what you would expect to find in the home of the homespun wife!

"She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family....
She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."
Proverbs 31: 15, 17

9 Comments:

At January 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM , Blogger Marmee's Pantry said...

Mmmmm mm! That bread looks good. I have some baking in the oven right now ~ usually, Tuesday is "bread baking day" but we needed more today.

Thanks for following Marmee's Pantry. Your blog looks just as sweet as sweet can be, I'll sign up, too. :-)

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

 
At January 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Thanks, Kim! I have no clue how to layout a blog page....LOL. Isn't it funny what the Lord asks us to do?

Blessings to you...all the way in Ohio from dear ol' North Caroline!
Sherry

 
At January 19, 2012 at 12:20 AM , Blogger Sarah-Anne said...

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for coming by and commenting - what you said is so true. If the Lord asks it of us, all we can do is follow.

I love homemade bread and my hubby does too! There's something so nice about the smell of it filling the house. We love it with a spicy lentil soup or pumpkin soup.

Blessings!

 
At January 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM , Blogger evanstwo said...

That bread does look delicious and I like your blog and your thoughts. Saw your comment on Sarah-Anne's blog today and just wanted to pop in and add some encouragement. I am a new blogger too, and also a Mom and Grandma. You are doing a great job and I will sign up as a follower! Keep up the good work! Pam (http://cubcreekart.weebly.com)

 
At January 24, 2012 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Karen said...

Hi, Sherry ~ so nice to meet you! Thank you for following my blog--I am now your newest follower :) I have really enjoyed reading your posts, and I look forward to getting to know you better! God bless, Karen

 
At January 24, 2012 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Hi Karen....Thank you for coming over to see my little space. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. It blesses my life to have Christian companionship with other wives. Blessings to you!

 
At January 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Hi Sarah-Anne....I appreciate you coming by my blog-attempt! haha Your pumpkin soup sounds so good...tonight would be a good night for it. To bad we don't live close enough to gather the families and enjoy some. Blessings to you!

 
At January 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Hi there Pam...thank you for taking the time to come over. That is such a kind thing to do. I know there are so many wonderful, Christian blogs out there. I appreciate your encouragement at my attempt. I will have to visit your spot also! Blessings to you, Pam!

 
At January 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Oh wow....I have already visited your blog and just realized it! I love it! I just can't figure out how to follow it. Is there a button to push...or maybe I should just add it to my bookmarks. Your space is very impressive...I love all the beautiful artwork there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home