Monday, February 27, 2012

Homemade Detergent!
















My husband and I have been making our own liquid laundry detergent for over a year. We were surprised by how simple and inexpensive it is to make. Several months ago, we decided to try the powdered variety. It takes up less space in a laundry room. It worked fantastic!

Last week, I decided to grate the soap by using my food processor. I had heard that the process went quickly and the powder was made finer. I loved the outcome...and thought I would share it with you! I scurried around trying to find the right sized jar to hold a double-batch but just couldn't find one with that suited my needs. Thats when I remembered an old J. P. Coats tin I have had for years. Two batches of powdered detergent fit perfectly inside!

Powdered Laundry Detergent Recipe:

1 bar of Fels-Naptha or Ivory Soap (I have used both and each works well)
1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1 cup Borax
1/2 cup Oxi-clean

Grate soap bar or put in food processor. Add powdered ingredients and mix well. Use 1-2 tablespoons per load, as this recipe is very concentrated. I doubled the recipe. Each single batch makes approx. 60 loads.....for pennies!

12 Comments:

At February 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM , Blogger gail said...

Hello Sherry,
Have just found your sweet blog. Will try the laundry detergent and I've just added the ingredients for your your bread recipe to my hardly ever used bread maker. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings Gail

 
At February 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM , Blogger ♥ Tina said...

This is a great recipe! Thanks for sharing! xx

 
At February 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM , Blogger gail said...

Hi again Sherry,
The bread was great. Turned out really well. We found it a little too sweet so next loaf I'll just use half the honey. It's a winner. Thanks again.
Blessings Gail

 
At February 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Karen said...

I must try this! Do you think it cleans as well as store bought detergents? My husband is leary about it, so I haven't done it yet. He thinks it won't clean as well :( I really want to try it though. I like the idea of a powdered variety instead of the liquid.

 
At February 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM , Blogger Shelley said...

Nice to find your blog...I am following you now so I will be back to visit again....Oh,I use homemade laundry soap as well...I love the process of making it and using it...I don't think my clothes have ever been cleaner....blessings

 
At February 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Hi Gail! Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a kind message. I hope your bread will be delicious....I look forward to hearing about it.

 
At February 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Thanks, Tina! Hope you will enjoy it as much as I have. Thank you for stopping by!

 
At February 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Yay! Glad you liked it!

 
At February 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Hi Karen...thanks for coming by and leaving a message. YES...I think this detergent works very well. It smells wonderful, is safe for HE washers, and is hypo-allergenic! Give it a try and see how it works for you....I think you and your husband will really be pleased. And its soooo cheap. That should win hubby over! LOL Blessings to you...

 
At February 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Hi Shelley...thank you for following my blog! I'm very new and still learning. Glad to hear about your positive "homemade laundry soap" experience. I agree....we love how it works..and how it saves! Blessings to you!

 
At February 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Rose said...

How Nice! I have to try it with the Oxi-Clean. I have never used that to make soap before. Such a great idea. God bless, Rose

 
At February 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Thanks for stopping by, Rose!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home