Friday, March 9, 2012

Homemaking Organizer




One new project I feel led to start is a "Homemaking Organizer." I definitely need to get a better plan to combine all of my homemaking needs and goals in one central system. I have watched several videos of women creating household organizing systems and each one is somewhat different, based on the needs of the individual creating it.

I decided my "Homemaking Organizer" would be a binder, with several pockets and dividers. I felt I would need several categories, such as Bills and Household Paper Work (most of my bills are online now...but this would still help centralize my budgeting needs each month), Menu Planner and Favorite Go-T0 Recipes (for quick meals), Important Numbers and Appointments, Shopping and Coupon Lists, and Prayer List/Bible Reading Chart. I could also use a couple pockets for medical receipts, household receipts, etc.

Today, after hubby made a couple hospital visits, I realized that we were near Ollie's. I love that store! The theme is, "Good Stuff Cheap!" I especially enjoy looking through the books. They have such a large selection that is continually changing. I always find good deals on children's books, Amish fiction, Christian non-fiction, and other books. I also love looking at their craft and scrapbooking aisle.

So hubby took me to Ollie's and while searching there I found the neatest notebook organizer! There was only one problem: it was for parents to use for their babies. But the binder was very cute..and full of goodies inside. I really thought, with a few alterations, I could make this organizing binder work for me. The front simply said, "A to Z Organizer," and the binder had plastic pages, pocket dividers, a tear-off week-by-week calendar (perfect for menu planning), and decorated notebook pages. The theme throughout was animals....very cute indeed! The price for all was just $9.99, so it was a great deal. I decided to purchase it and adapt it...I will call it a "re-creation project!"

I also purchased a large Debbie Mumm Deluxe Scrapbooking Set...4 kits in one, entitled "Four Seasons." There were puff stickers, regular stickers, sparkle sticker and 3-dimensional stickers...along with tons of beautiful scrapbook pages. The price for this book was only $6.99. The colors go along perfectly with the binder. By combining these two together, I think I can create a really lovely and purposeful Household Organizer that I can use for years to come.

I will keep you updated on my progress....

Teach me to number my days, that I may gain a heart of wisdom.
~Psalm 90: 12

2 Comments:

At March 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Sarah-Anne said...

I've really thought of doing this, too. I've tried with just a journal, but I haven't managed to do it well enough. But I think that I need to get a binder to and really sit down and plan out how it should work. Please put up some more pics after you've done it, I'd love some ideas!

 
At March 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Hi Sarah-Anne! Like you, I have tried other things to keep organized...like having a special drawer or a composition book where I wrote things down. But I think having a binder (one that I have made just to my liking) might be a big help. I will definitely let you know!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home