Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Updates On The Homemaking Binder




Warm and sunny weather abounds here in North Carolina and I'm really itching to get outside and plant something. But we have been warned that its still too early for that and so I am trying to remain busy inside the home (for the most part, anyway). I have been working on my English Paper Piecing project and hope to show my progress soon!

I have also been continuing to organize my homemaking binder and thought I would share some things I have found to help me. One of the biggest helps has been visiting organizedhome.com , where I found some wonderful printable pages to add to the binder. Organized Home has pretty much has thought of everything there, including the "Weekly Planner," "Weekly Menu Planner," and the "Master To-Do List." Also, check them out on Facebook!

I then searched the web and found some very nice pages to keep for a "Prayer Journal." Keeping prayer requests in writing helps me remember needs and also helps me keep track of God's faithful promise to hear our prayers. My prayer pages even offer a section for recording how God answered each request.

Also in my Faith section is my "Prayer Wheel." The Prayer Wheel shows you in 12 easy steps how to spend 1 hour in prayer. Each step is broken down in 5 minute segments and each prayer begins with 5 minutes of praise and ends with 5 minutes of praise. Other portions include Confession, Reading God's Word, Petitioning and Listening. To the left of the wheel is a guide to help you better understand how each of the twelve steps can be fulfilled and its complete with Scriptural references. Since I rarely have 1 entire hour at a time to devote to prayer, I simplify this wheel by breaking it down into smaller time periods. If I devote 1 minute to each section, that is a 12-minute prayer time. If I devote 2 minutes, that is a 24-minute prayer time, etc. This is especially helpful for someone (and we've all been there) who feels like they are in a rut with their prayer life. Focusing on each portion of the Prayer Wheel helps my prayers to be more defined and structured. Without the wheel, I would rarely take time to wait, meditate, sing or listen.

There is one last thing that I have found to be very helpful in my binder. I was mailed a free sample of Post-It Pocket Tabs. I had almost forgotten about them but finding them made me jump for joy. The clear pockets adhere to the front of each section and have a tab that sticks out to label each compartment of my binder. In front of the Home Planning section, I positioned the Pocket Tab and placed our insurance cards inside the pocket. The photo above shows how I placed some coupons in one of the pockets until I could file them away in my Couponizer. Those Pocket Tabs are wonderful tools!

I would love to hear from you. What projects do you have in the works?

I will praise you, O LORD my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever.
~Psalm 86: 12

6 Comments:

At March 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM , Blogger Gina said...

Hi Sherry, nice to meet you. I found your blog through Karen's.

I love the idea of keeping a homemaking Binder and a prayer journal. There is just something about seeing it down in writing. :)

Blessings,

Gina

 
At March 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Hi Gina...it's so nice to meet you and I thank you for stopping by! I agree with you about keeping a prayer journal. I have done so, off and on, for a while...but I think I will do a better job of keeping up with it in this binder.
Blessings to you!
Sherry

 
At March 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM , Blogger Mara said...

You sound very happy and pleased with your projects, and I am glad. The prayer wheel that you mentioned sounds interesting. I don't think I have tried anything like that.

As for current projects, I really need to make some bread crumbs for up-coming dinners. But you know, making bread crumbs is not very exciting, ha, ha! :)

 
At March 21, 2012 at 5:30 AM , Blogger Sherry Hefner said...

Haha, you are so funny Mara! I think making bread crumbs seems like a wonderful task that will end up tasting delicious in your meals! Oh I have my fair share of "exciting" projects too...like cleaning out the fridge (eek!) and ironing at midnight in my gown tail (simply because I finally got in the mood to do it).
Thanks for stopping by to say hello and for leaving me a comment!

 
At March 25, 2012 at 1:04 AM , Blogger Sarah-Anne said...

I can't wait for more indepth photos for inspiration!

 
At March 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM , Blogger a little of me said...

nice post thank you for sharing this....blessings i love your blog...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home